9/12/2010

childhood cancer awareness

I was reminded by my husband a few days ago that it's childhood cancer awareness month!! As the months go by I tend to forget things. But the past few days I've been remembering everything. Trying to remember every single detail about what we've been through. I never want to forget so I can always know how lucky we are. So here are the things that stick out the most in my mind..

1. the huge lumps in the back of her head
2. a huge "pot belly"
3. a bruise from kassie throwing a soft binki at her cheek (that lasted well over a month)
4. the first of many drives to the hospital
5. waiting in recovery for a dreaded phone call then receiving it
6. phone calls to family
7. AMAZING family coming straight to the hospital
8. the first sleepover in the hospital.. just me and a sweaty little girl clinging to me
9. a first surgery for her line being placed
10. first round of chemo
11. tons of learning before we could take her home
12. a first fever
13. throw up every day
14. a weak little girl who started to regress
15. first strands of hair on her pillow
16. silver dollar pancakes in the hospital
17. nasty steroids
18. crumbs in her bed every night
19. shots (pokies)
20. a line being pulled out (thanks kase) and 911 being called (overreacting mom)
21. a picc line
22. another surgery
23. a port
24. more fevers and more hospital stays (within 2 years we managed to spend 1 of every single holiday in the hospital)
24. REMISSION
25. numerous blood draws
26. lots of set backs
27. but tons of good news too
28. the best doctors and nurses
29. breathing again when we started maintenance therapy
30. a happy healthy little 7 year old today

Cure Childhood Cancer Pictures, Images and Photos

5 comments:

Brent said...

Terrific post Stace. Thanks

Sarah Haslem said...

This made me cry.. Im so glad she is a happy and healthy seven year old!
Our (many) prayers were answered~

Aubrey said...

Thanks for sharing this. We are running a 5k for childhood cancer this month. Can't give back enough. I also am writing a book of our experience. When it's done I'll be sure to send you a copy. ;)

The Foisy's said...

K just reading those is hard for me, I can't imagine you reliving those experiences. I am so glad you guys got so lucky and your little princess is doing awesome!!

Unknown said...

Oh, Stace! This makes me cry! It's hard to believe (seeing her so healthy now) all that she (and your family) has gone through!!!